Debilitating pain, stiffness, and a limited range of motion—these are the hallmarks of frozen shoulder, a condition that can significantly impact your daily activities. Managing the pain associated with frozen shoulder requires a comprehensive approach, and pain management specialists play a pivotal role in alleviating symptoms and restoring functionality.
Frozen shoulder, or adhesive capsulitis, is characterized by the gradual development of stiffness and pain in the shoulder joint. It often progresses through stages, with the shoulder capsule thickening and tightening, leading to a reduced range of motion.
Addressing the pain and discomfort associated with frozen shoulder involves a combination of specialized interventions tailored to each patient's unique needs, which may include:
1. Physical Therapy: Targeted exercises, guided by a physical therapist, can improve your flexibility, strengthen the surrounding muscles, and enhance overall shoulder function.
2. Corticosteroid Injections: In some cases, corticosteroid injections directly into the shoulder joint can provide short-term relief by reducing inflammation.
3. Joint Distension: This procedure involves injecting sterile water into the joint capsule to stretch it and improve your mobility.
4. Manipulation Under Anesthesia (MUA): Under anesthesia, your pain management specialist performs specific manual movements to break up restrictive adhesions and improve shoulder mobility.
5. Heat and Ice Therapy: Alternating heat and ice applications can help manage your pain and reduce inflammation in the shoulder.
6. Lifestyle Modifications: Adopting ergonomic habits, gentle stretching, and avoiding activities that exacerbate your symptoms can contribute to a successful pain management plan.
If you're grappling with the pain and restricted mobility associated with frozen shoulder, consider scheduling a consultation with Dr. Gendai Echezona. Together, you will develop a tailored approach to thaw the freeze and restore your shoulder's functionality.
THE PREMIER EXPERIENCE
Dr. Gendai Echezona, a fellowship-trained, triple board-certified interventional pain management physician and certified diplomat of the American Board of Lifestyle Medicine, takes great pride in providing her patients with concierge care that is completely tailored to each patient’s specific goals, treatment preferences, and needs. At Premier Pain Care & Wellness, we believe that you deserve to feel and look your best as you engage in all of life's activities that bring you joy. Request an appointment.